According to 'Ministry: MP Low wrong on lift upgrading', [ST,13Oct2009] - Letter from Lim Yuin Chien, Press Secretary to the Ministry of National Development [link] (last paragraph): "However, MPs do have a role in running town councils. Their role in town management and maintenance is clearly defined in the Town Councils Act, and does not extend to implementing government programmes such as the LUP."
The Town Council Act (Cap.329A) however, states in s24C(1) that:
Lift upgrading works in a precinct
24C. —(1) Where any housing estate of the Board or any part thereof within a Town has been declared a precinct under section 24B, the Town Council for that Town shall, as soon as practicable —
(a) make arrangements to conduct in the manner prescribed a poll of such owners of the flats within the precinct as may be prescribed with a view to establishing their opinions about the Town Council’s proposals to carry out lift upgrading works in buildings within the precinct; and
(b) do such other things as the Minister may direct.
Power to carry out lift upgrading works and recover improvement contributions
24D. —(1) As soon as practicable after the Minister has given his approval under section 24C (3) (b), the Town Council concerned shall carry out the lift upgrading works in the precinct in such manner as the Town Council thinks fit.
It remains a long-shot to think that without winning an election, Mr E Low could be a Town Council Chairman as it is directed in s.9(4) of the same act that:
Chairman and vice-chairmen
9. —(4) Where the area of a Town comprises only one constituency (other than a group representation constituency), the Member of Parliament for that constituency shall be the chairman during his tenure of office as a Member of Parliament for that constituency.
That said, like roads up-kept and policed by LTA, schools run by MOE, would the esteemed minister also like to enlarge the portfolio of the HDB and the budget of the MND to meet the 'maintenance, running and rescue' costs pertaining to the lifts in every HDB block, as in his own words: "This is no different from other government programmes such as the building of roads and schools."
- "Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."-- Benjamin Franklin.
- 'A rebuttal to MND: Why Mah Bow Tan is wrong on upgrading': [TR, 14Oct2009]
- '‘Adviser over MP’ raises many questions': "PAP MPs are appointed as advisers to the grassroots organisations in their wards by the People’s Association (PA). In the two opposition wards, the PA picked the PAP candidates who contested but lost in the wards in the last two polls as the grassroots advisers." [ST22Oct2009(hosted by TR website)]
- 'Town Council Act (CAP 329A) states clearly that Govt must work with Town Councils (run by MPs) to implement LUP': "Singaporeans expect no less than a clear explanation on this matter from the authorities concerned ..If a precedent is set which allows for laws as outlined in the Singapore Statutes to be ignored and disobeyed, what will our country become?" [TR,29Oct2009]
13Jan2011: Is Mr MBT (and HDB) quite mistaken regarding the statutory requirements for the Lift Upgrading Prog?
13Jan2011: Is Mr MBT (and HDB) quite mistaken regarding the statutory requirements for the LUP?
13Jan2011: Is Mr MBT (and HDB) mistaken regarding the LUP?