|PA denies allegation of 'double standards' by NSP's Nicole Seah [TDY, May 05, 2011][video] .. |
The association said that party-political activities are not allowed at the community clubs (CCs) and its staff members will ask members of the public displaying party symbols to remove them before entering the CCs. It added that this applies to all political parties... http://www.todayonline.com/Singapore...Ps-Nicole-Seah
What's the point of the PA blatantly asserting a 'non-partisan' stance at ground level (it bans persons wearing anything remotely political within its CC compounds ('PA denies allegation of 'double standards' by NSP's Nicole Seah' [TDY, 05May2011][YouTube]) when we all very well know that at HQ level, the PM uses the PA as a hegemonic political weapon against opposition? ('‘Adviser over MP’ raises many questions': "PAP MPs are appointed as advisers to the grassroots organisations in their wards by the People’s Association (PA). In the two opposition wards, the PA picked the PAP candidates who contested but lost in the wards in the last two polls as the grassroots advisers." [ST, 22Oct2009][alt link])
Why should the PA remain the PM's weapon to usurp/ pervert the relationship between an opposition MP and the grassroots movement in his constituency or as a siphon so public funds can covertly be extended to fund PAP's partisan political interests? ('How PAP uses taxpayer-funded grassroots for political gain' [G Giam, 10Oct2009])- especially where since Jan1991, the Singapore constitution has provided for an additional (non-partisan) 'Elected Presidency' [Wiki: Elected Presidency- History].
Please end this loophole of hypocrisy- place the PA under the direction of permanent secretaries in allegiance to Singapore's 'Elected Presidency'- to make sure that the PA and by extension, the Singapore Civil Service remains free from overt partisan political prejudice- especially by the ruling party as it is obviously the current case at moment.
And do away with the titles of 'PA adviser to grassroots', 'PA grassroots adviser' as these are terms of prejudice and duplicity, currently referring to either incumbent PAP MPs (or PAP losing electoral candidates in opposition wards). Removing this blatantly biased terminology will remove partisan bias from the conduct of the civil service and allow MPs to perform their rightful roles and responsibilities in serving the grassroots in their respective constituencies without undue partisan prejudice.
Kindly return the Singapore Government and Civil Service to the spirit of leadership by integrity.
References (Conduct of civil service):
- 'Separation of powers' [wiki]: [i]"The separation of powers is a model for the governance of a state. The model was first developed in ancient Greece and came into widespread use by the Roman Republic as part of the unmodified Constitution of the Roman Republic. Under this model, the state is divided into branches, each with separate and independent powers and areas of responsibility so that no one branch has more power than the other branches. The normal division of branches is into an executive, a legislature, and a judiciary. ..."
- '(PSD) Maintaining High Standard of Conduct': "The Civil Service works under a Code of Conduct based on the principles of incorruptibility, integrity and propriety. Civil servants are expected to conduct themselves with impartiality and honesty at all times, by: Remaining completely neutral in all political matters and matters of public controversy ... " [PSD (Role)> Nurturing Talent> Progressive Policies]
- 'Integrity of election process a hot topic during youth forum': "'Civil servants under the constitution hold their allegiance to the president. The symbolism that is attached to that is we actually serve at the pleasure of a politically neutral institution. It is one of the values of the civil service that we are politically impartial,' said Ms Owi. " [CNA, 17May2009]
References (PM Lee's misuse of the PA for PAP partisan objectives):
- 'Upgrading in Opposition Wards- MPs should front initiative': "Why did the HDB choose to work with unelected candidates instead of the elected MPs in the constituencies?.. shouldn't the mandate that the residents gave to the elected MPs be respected?" [ST, 07Oct2009]
- 'How PAP uses taxpayer-funded grassroots for political gain': "The People’s Association (PA), ..Like all other stat boards, it receives a yearly grant from the government to run its programmes and cover operational costs. .. It spent a total of $320 million last year. However unlike most stat boards, whose chairmen are usually the permanent secretary of the parent ministry or some other senior civil servant, PA’s chairman is none other than the Prime Minister [pict][board]. The de facto leader of all the CCCs, CCMCs, RCs and NCs in each constituency is known as the “adviser to the grassroots organisations (GROs)”. This adviser is appointed by PA, presumably with the nod of its chairman, the Prime Minister. In PAP constituencies, PA always appoints the elected MP as the adviser. But in opposition wards, PA appoints the PAP candidate who lost in the last election, not the opposition MP" [G Giam, 10Oct2009].
- '‘Adviser over MP’ raises many questions': "PAP MPs are appointed as advisers to the grassroots organisations in their wards by the People’s Association (PA). In the two opposition wards, the PA picked the PAP candidates who contested but lost in the wards in the last two polls as the grassroots advisers." [ST, 22Oct2009][alt link]
- 'MND continues to throw smoke bombs over role of PAP 'grassroots advisers'': "There is absolutely no reason why opposition MPs cannot be appointed as grassroots advisers unless they decline to work with the government. The root cause of the problem lies in the lack of a clearly defined demarcation between the state and the party which resulted in many supposedly apolitical institutions like the People’s Association being made use of by the PAP to serve its partisan interests.
As the People’s Association is a statutory board, its members and grassroots advisers should have no political affiliations.
It is disingenuous of the PAP to appoint their losing candidates to continue “serving” in the opposition wards under the veneer of being the “grassroots advisers” appointed by the PA." [TR, 27Oct2009][alt link]
- 'Town Council Act (CAP 329A) states clearly that Govt must work with Town Councils (run by MPs) to implement LUP': "It is a joke that for some strange reasons or another, Mr Shanmugan’s ministerial colleague has refused to obey the Town Councils Act by choosing not to work with Hougang Town Council and even has the audacity to TWIST the facts by claiming that 'it is the role of the grassroots advisers to implement the LUP' through his press secretary when it was stated NOWHERE in the Town Councils Act that the LUP has to be carried out by the grassroots advisers! From beginning to end, there was no mention of the words 'Grassroots advisers', 'People Association' or 'PAP losing candidates' and so how did Mr Eric Low come into the picture at all? " [TR, 29Oct2009][alt link]
- 'Grassroots Organizations should stay non-partisan': "By appointing PAP candidates as grassroots advisers in Opposition held wards, the government is effectively bringing partisan politics into governmental institutions. Using the PA as a vehicle for PAP candidates as grounds to gain political capital so that they may fight their next battle with more goodwill, the governmental risks costing itself the position of Singapore as a Parliamentary Democracy; and put Singapore in par with communist states like Cuba, China and North Korea." [TR, 03Nov2009][alt site]
- 'PAP has blurred line between State and party': "THE cry for multi-party representation in Parliament is the People's Action Party's own doing.. The PAP has blurred the line between the State and the party: What belongs to the State belongs to the PAP... The People's Association becomes a PAP instrument... The money belongs to the State". [STforum, 13Apr2011][alt link]
~ "The King will reply, 'I tell you the truth, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers of mine, you did for me.'"--Matthew 25:40 (NIV)
06May2011: Loophole of PA HQ under Chairmanship of PM Lee. Please end the hypocrisy.
07May2011: Please end the hypocrisy; end the partisan prejudice of the PA by the PAP.
06May2011: Loophole of PA HQ under Chairmanship of PM Lee. Please end the hypocrisy.
06May2011: Loophole of PA HQ under Chairmanship of PM Lee. Please end..
06May2011: Please end the hypocrisy, end the partisan prejudice over the PA by the PAP
07May2011: Please end the hypocrisy- end the partisan prejudice of the PA by the PAP.